Sunday, March 31, 2013

Let out the clutch! Things are turning green!.

Nice weather is teasing us here in the Fingerlakes. Temps keep flirting in the 60s, and I've seen more of that mystical yellow orb in the sky recently  than I have all winter. All that means that I'm itching to get things going outside.  I started collecting wood this week for the workshop expansion to the garage.  I plan to build what is essentially two 7.5 foot by 10 foot sheds onto the back of the garage, all linked together to make a 7.5 foot by 20 foot workshop. All the materials are being scavenged from old shipping crates and pallets. also A friend at work has offered several sheets of OSB board that need several hundred staples removed (Anybody volunteer?). Seeing as how this is being built from nearly 100% "Obtainium" The name "The vulture workshop" seems to fit. Offer up any other ideas if you have 'em.
Contents of the shed overflowith
This weekend saw the beginnings of the project. I started by moving the BMW outside for a bit to gain room to empty out the shed that was right where I want to build the workshop. Then I had to empty the shed, move it, and neatly put all the lawn and garden stuff back in it at the new location. Following that I knocked apart the rotting floor that had been under the shed, and cleaned out the area for the workshop. That pretty much took up 2 days, and now the garage is trashed until I get the workshop built and can put stuff away.
Right where I want the shop to be!
The shed's new home.
The next step is to bring home the lumber I'm planning to use on the floor, get the rest of the 2x4s for the walls, the OSB board, and rafter boards, shingles...... the list goes on.  I hope to have this done by May, but scavenging building materials makes for an unpredictable build schedule. We shall see.
The skeletal remains of the old floor.
the side of the new workshop. Yuk!










After all that work, I went over to visit my buddy Jim. We've been scheming about a project for Stray Cat for over a year. Jim has a sweet old 53 Studebaker Champion in dry storage that he wants to do something with. For that matter, so do I. We went over to the warehouse and paid it a visit. We rummaged through the parts, looked it over inside and out, and did a lot of dreaming about what it could be. The most logical answer right now is a low-buck Rat-rod. We could have it running and driving on the cheap, and have loads of fun.  What do you think?
The ghost of hot-rodder future......... Ok, it's me.
Today was Easter, so, of course, it was a day for family. We went to church, had a great dinner , and hung out at my parents house for the remainder of the afternoon. I also got to do some pickin' with my Dad and brother on the ol' guitars. That's always fun.  It's also my dad's birthday today, so I want to wish him a happy birthday, and hope he enjoyed it.



No comments:

Post a Comment