Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Exhaust pipe dream

As predicted, the weather has  turned back cold, so  here I am inside making plans, and doing research to be ready when Spring has finally sprung. It's still to be seen what will become the first project of the season, but, for now it's looking like the Maytag-engine motorized bicycle will be on the top of the list.   This project began  when I was trying to find something to do with a couple of small engines that are hanging around, and I came across the motorized bicycle forum. Specifically, I gravitated to the Boardtrackers forum, where there is a great community  of creative guys who love early motorcycles, and build some great replicas of iconic racers. Not to mention great original creations that pay homage to the early manufacturers that have been lost to the mists of time.
Out back, at Stray Cat, I have a Maytag Model 72, 2-cylinder, 2-stroke engine  originally built by the Maytag company to power thier washing machines in the 1930s, when electricity was still confined to urban areas. Also in the parts pile is a  pre-WWII Western Flyer  boys bike I picked up at a local rummage sale.
The Maytag, and the Flyer
Plans are still in flux as to the final design, but the current idea is to pay tribute to a 1921 ABC "Sopwith Machine" that used a flat- twin  motor similar to what the ABC company's  Sopwith Camel Bi-plane used in WWI.  The biggest variation from that design is that I want to use a shaft drive system. Similar to what BMW used in the 30s. The problem with that is finding a suitable system to use on my build. I believe I have found my solution in a late 70s Yamaha moped. They were lightweight, compact, shaft drive, and I have a line on one for cheap.
1921 ABC "Spowith Machine"
The next step will be to start drawing up some designs to make the engine and driveline fit the frame. Then it will be time to start fabricating modified parts to make everything else fit.
This post is just to give you an idea of what I want to build. posts to come will keep you updated on progress and all the stuff I have to do to make this work.
I have no idea what I'm doing. I've never built a motorcycle before, nor have I designed custom components to this degree. What I have found is that if you want to do something, the information is out there if you dig. All you need is the desire to try, and a few contacts with folks to help out. Don't let anyone tell you that you need expensive equipment, or a degree in engineering. This stuff was originally done with manual  machines, in garages, by lantern light, by guys that just had a desire to do it.
My hope is to come up with something cool, and at the same time inspire you to try your own project. May a new adventure begin here.

1 comment: