Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A life celebration

In about an hour I'm heading out to go to the funeral of a lady that has been a staple of the small town where I grew up for decades. She lived to be 92, and still lived at home. She died last week, at home, surrounded by family, content.
When I was little, all the kids in town could go over to Gram Comfort's house, where she had a pool table and a ping pong table in the basement. It was basically the town community center. She was also the Sunday school teacher at the little Methodist church, and made sure we all attended every Sunday, or at least made sure we knew we were invited, welcome, and wanted. Not to mention all the community activities she stayed involved in.
Calling hours were last night. The hall was packed! We expect that the little church she spent her life teaching at will be filled to the rafters today to send her off.
It's sad to have to say goodbye, but I've not seen a more beautiful tribute to a wonderful person. I can't ever say how thankful I am to have had her in my life.
If any of you are familiar with the Ray Boltz song "Thank You" I believe it was written about her.
Godspeed Gram Comfort, and thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment