Saturday, August 3, 2013

Long Time, No Blog

Wow! it's been since May that I posted anything here.  The weather got nice, things got rolling, and even though I've had lots to talk about, I've been out doing and not writing. 
Well, the ol' shop has a few things going on. I'll spread them out over a few posts to organize a bit, but here I'll update you all on the motorized bicycle project.



this shows the placement of the engine. the gearbox will fit
in the space between the back of the engine and
the seat-post

The shaft drive mocked up for testing.
 Gonna keep this one in the wings for a future build
 It's been a while since I did anything on it, but I made some good progress a while back. The frame was stretched 6 inches, and the plates I fabricated were tack welded in to hold the Maytag engine.  Everything is just tacked in at the moment, so if I change my mind about anything, it can be easily modified. You can see now how I'm trying to mount the engine like it was on the old BMW bikes, or that ABC bike in my older post.  So far the biggest design change will be in the final drive. You can see in theone pic that I had the shaft drive from the Yamaha moped mocked up  to test. and  I started to modify bits to try and make everything work. It ws quickly becoming a major effort, and even though I'd have the nice clean shaft to the back, I was still going to need some kind of chain to make the pedals still work as I will need them to get the bike rolling to get the engine to start. Then I made a deal with someone on the motorized bicycle forum for some 90 deg gearboxes  and have decided that for this project I will be using one of those boxes to run a belt to a large pulley on the rear wheel.  I hope to get back to it soon, but there are a few other projects eating up my time right now.  New posts soon I promise
turning the 10-speed into useable pieces.

The frame stretched using the donor 10-speed parts
and the fabricated plates

 

No comments:

Post a Comment